054 – Meghan Pierce is Thomas’ wonderful sister. Her background is in gender equity and voting rights, and she currently runs a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization in Pennsylvania that advocates for election accessibility and promotes civic engagement. Meghan has a Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs and Women Studies, and a Master’s in Public Administration. She has been a long-time advocate for abortion rights, and with the upcoming Supreme Court decision likely to overturn Roe vs. Wade, this is a timely discussion.
2:00 – Introductions, “Pro Life & Pro Choice” vs “Anti-Abortion & Pro-Abortion”
6:00 – Experiences that Led Meghan to Abortion Activism
13:30 – What’s going on with the Supreme Court case?
17:30 – What is an abortion?
27:00 – How does Meghan maintain a healthy dialogue when discussing this with anti-abortion activists?
33:00 – How do get involved?
38:00 – Spark By Seek Discomfort Game
- Guttmacher Institute : https://www.guttmacher.org/
- Center for Reproductive Rights: https://reproductiverights.org/get-involved/featured-resources
- Pew Research Center: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/17/key-facts-about-the-abortion-debate-in-america
- 40 Persistent Claims about Abortion Fact-Checked: https://www.npr.org/2022/05/06/1096676197/7-persistent-claims-about-abortion-fact-checked
Actions to Take:
- VOTE in the 2022 elections: Who we elect next at the state level, and their stance on abortion, will have implications for abortion access in states for years to come. Vote411.org has all the information you need to vote, including information on your candidates. If you missed the primary elections in your state, it’s not too late to register for the November general election.
- Talk to your friends and family about abortion rights, and why it’s important to vote 2022: See abortion messaging guidance here. Organize a voter registration drive in your neighborhood to help get out the vote on this issue.
- Tell your U.S. Senators to support abortion access: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/call/congress-protect-safe-legal-abortion
- Donate to local abortion funds: https://abortionfunds.org/